Saturday, January 23, 2010

A New Sound

For those blog readers out there that I don't know personally, you may be unaware that our family will soon be expanding. Nope, not another greyhound this time. I'm pregnant and in about five weeks, we will be welcoming a little one into our lives! We decided not to find out the baby's gender so whether it's a boy or girl is still a surprise! Either way, it will be a big adjustment for everyone around our house. Naturally, I am concerned about how Macy, Buford, and Puddin will react. They have had all of our attention so far, they go for a walk every day, we take them with us every chance we get (often Tracy and I will both go out on errands and one of us will wait in the van with the pups just so they get to go along for a ride)...the point is they have been the center of our world for a while now and soon that will have to change. Obviously, I want the transition to be as easy as possible for them. So, I started a little baby training. I spoke to someone at the Animal Welfare League of Arlington where they offer a class called "Baby-Ready Pets". They gave me lots of good information and also sent me a CD with baby sounds. I popped it in the other day, not sure how the kids would react since they have never been around any infants. Well, I guess I shouldn't have worried so much because they didn't even notice! I was pleased that they could not have cared less about the baby crying which we sat here and listened to for 45 minutes! They slept right through the whole thing! I realize that an actual baby in the room crying may not be met with such indifference, but to me it seemed to be a good start in the right direction. I recorded their reactions and well, it's pretty boring but here they are (Puddin was just out of sight on the other side of Macy, but in the same position as M&B).



They also seem unfazed by the baby gear that is slowly making it's way into our home. I am somewhat reassured by the positive comments I've heard about other greyhounds (and dogs in general) and their reactions to a new baby, but I won't feel confident until I see it for myself. I fully expect there to be jealousy (after all they were jealous every time we've adopted a new grey too), but I just hope the adjustment goes well!!!

This blog will continue to be about our beautiful greyhounds and their adventures and I will start another baby blog, but naturally there will be some overlap from time to time. Here is a photo of each of my silly kids while we were listening to the crying baby - I'm so proud of them :)



8 comments:

houndstooth said...

Congratulations on your soon to arrive little one! My husband's sister had a baby last year and Bunny is completely enthralled with him. She loves how he smells, sounds and moves. I think as long as your greys get a chance to satisfy their curiosity, they'll be fine with the baby. They don't seem to be too worried yet! lol

Alex said...

Well, that should reassure you at least a little bit that the crying won't agitate them. Greyhounds are AMAZINGLY adaptable!!
Did they suggest that you cuddle a baby doll to see if the dogs get jealous of it? Also, I sent home a baby blanket that Will had been wrapped in, while we were still in the hospital, to get Pepsi used to his smell.- just an idea.

Those Brindle Kids said...

Congratulations! I recall wondering how my dog, Murphey, (non-greyhound) would react when we brought our daughter home 13 years ago. While the baby was still in the hospital, my husband brought home some soiled diapers and blankets we had wrapped the baby in for Murphey to smell. When we brought the baby home, Murphey had no issues whatsoever. She would sleep in the nursery under the crib and would come get me if she thought the baby needed attention.
I hope your experience is equally as seamless and rewarding!

Angela said...

Yes, I did buy a baby doll a few weeks ago, just haven't "practiced" with it yet...I need to put that on my agenda soon! And we do plan to send a blanket or something home for them to smell as I've been told by lots of people that it helps :)

genji said...

Congrats! You're kids are so good. I don't think I could've lasted 45 min :)

Debbie said...

Ha Ha Ha...Gyeong's comment made me laugh out loud. Too funny.

I think your three sweet hounds will just go with the flow ( even Macy).

Trina said...

Congrats! I am with gyeong and applaud your kids. They will do fine and props to 'doing it right' and introducing them slowly! Congrats!

Life With Dogs said...

I congratulate you and envy your child. Growing up with Grey will be wonderful...