Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I Want To Pet Her

We have promotional VAGA magnets on our refrigerator that Debbie had made up – there is one of Macy and another of Buford. Lauren always looks at them and talks about them while she’s playing with her alphabet magnets, but nothing hit quite me as hard as a recent conversation. Here’s how it went.

Lauren: I like Macy!

Me: Me too, honey. Actually I love Macy. Macy used to be your doggie too, you know.

Lauren: Where Macy went?

Me: (feeling my heart beat a little harder) She had to go to heaven.

Lauren: I want to pet her!

Me: I want to pet her too, I wish I could give her a big hug sweetheart!

Lauren: (in a sweet, sincere, pleading voice) Please, mama, let me pet her! Please…please…I want to pet her!

With a shaky voice and pushing back a tear, I simply said ‘if only I could, I would definitely let you pet her baby girl’ and quickly changed the subject. There was one other time when out of the blue Lauren brought a tear to my eye. It was several months ago, we were outside playing and Lauren stopped to look at the memorial stone that we have for Macy. She said “Look, mama, that’s Macy! Macy went night night.” It’s amazing how Macy still impacts our lives on a daily basis. Lauren is truly a dog lover and that makes my heart happy. She is amazing with her “Boo” and “Pop”, as they are with her! I’ll always wish we could have spent more time with Macy.
 
I finally started turning the blog into a book. I have completed the first two books, one for 2008-2009 and another for 2010-2011.  That last one was a real tear jerker for me, but I think it was also therapeutic to some degree.  Lauren loves looking through the books and always points out each dog and what they're doing so even though she can’t possibly remember Macy, she’s still a small part of her life :)  

10 comments:

genji said...

Being able to look at blog book, Lauren will be able to reinforce any memories of Macy. And Boo and Pop too of course.

Hiking Hounds said...

That is definitely a tear jerker. Very sweet though. I've thought about doing a blog book too. How are you doing it, with a program or site?

What Remains Now said...

Oh my goodness. This post had me all choked up. How super sweet and super sad at the same time.

Those Brindle Kids said...

Aaawwww . . . That's so sweet. Lauren is a precious little girl.

houndstooth said...

She is very sweet, but of course, she's your daughter, so she would have to be! It's funny how sincere young children can be about things that we sort of take for granted. I have a feeling Lauren will always have a dog or two in her life!

Acarl1985 said...

((Hugs)), I know how that feels, I may not have a Lauren but I have a Sara who reminds me of Harper every day. Macy will be a part of everyone's life. I would not have had Harper if it wasn't for Macy

Angela J. said...

So sweet; it brought a tear to my eye! The blog book is a great idea!

Angela said...

I'm using blurb.com to create the books. They have a blog to book option that automatically imports all of your posts/pictures. It took me a little while to get the hang of it to format everything the way I wanted it, but I'm a pro at it now since I've done 2 books for this blog and 4 books for Lauren's blog (I do hers in 6 month increments)! I have had a great experience with Blurb and would recommend it to anyone :)

Trina said...

Very sweet. When my mom told my nephew that Henry went to heaven, he looked at her and said " he and Honey will have fun together" ..HOney was my mom's cat that died last year.

Michelle said...

Very sweet. :)