Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Food Thief Strikes Again

Last night, while I was in the shower, Macy was quite busy. She ate an entire box of Godiva truffles! It wasn't a big box, but still 5.25 oz with 8 pieces of chocolate. Most of them were dark chocolate which has more theobromine - the stuff that makes chocolate toxic to dogs. Tracy has had to work odd hours this week so I was here by myself and started to panic.

I remembered one of Michelle's past posts and also did some internet research so I knew that hydrogen peroxide induces vomiting in dogs. What shocked me though was how little and how quickly it would do the trick. I gave her one teaspoon of peroxide (5 mL) via syringe. She started gagging immediately and ran to the door to go out (what a good girl!). Literally within just a few minutes of the peroxide hitting her tongue, she threw up a chocolatey pile outside. She then started eating grass like crazy! She looked so pitiful and I hated to do it to her, but I felt better knowing that I did. She did drink a little extra water, but otherwise showed no signs of anything - thankfully! She probably would have been fine - I read that truffles are less toxic since they have the cream filling and are not all chocolate, but I didn't want to take the chance. We don't even like truffles, someone gave them to us and we planned to pass them along to someone who would enjoy them - it wasn't supposed to be Miss Macy though!

And how do I know that Macy got them all and not Buford? Well...

1. Aside from a few teeth marks and a couple scratches, the box was very carefully opened. The ribbon was removed, the lid opened, the plastic carefully unwrapped and the chocolate missing just like a person may have done. It was a very clean job, except for two tiny crumbs on the floor and one spot of chocolate on her paw. Buford would have crushed and torn the box and made a big mess.

2. Macy LOVES any kind of treats and she has a sweet tooth too. I'm sure she was in heaven munching away. Buford is leary of anything new. He won't try anything new unless he sees Macy eat it first and figures out that it's okay.

3. Macy is the boss around here - in case you haven't noticed :) There is absolutely no way she would have allowed Buford to have any of something that she obviously thought was a really yummy special treat.

And that's how I knew the culprit was our sweet little girl! Fortunately, she appears to have no ill effects so catastrophe avoided and I learned something new in the process.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I can't say I blame Macy...Dark chocolate truffles are my favorite. I can just picture her carefully unwrapping the goodies. And NO doubts...no way she would share with her brother.

Angela said...

Yeah, I'm sure she was cussing me afterwards for making her throw up her decadent dessert!

Michelle said...

Our kids have never gotten in to any chocolate. But Cueball did manage to get thawing chicken off the stove one day while I was at work. They ate the plastic zip lock and all the chicken, bones included. They also devoured a loaf of bread on another occassion.

Glad she is doing well!! =)

Alex said...

I'm glad to hear that Ms. Macy has had no lingering ill effects. The vet told us to give our little mutt peroxide when he got into a paint tray, years ago, I hope I don't need that knowledge again in the future.

Trina said...

mmm...chocolate! Peroxide is a wonder elixir. I buy it in bulk..besides quick upchucking, it is great for wound cleaning AND will remove blood from ANY fabric instantly! And with happy tail Dana..that comes in handy!
Glad macy is doing well!