Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Queen of the King

I still have so many pictures that I had to planned to post.  For the last couple of months, Macy decided that our bed was much more comfortable than a dog bed - who could blame her?  She had never tried to get on any of the beds for more than 2 1/2 years, then suddenly one day we found up on the guest bed at the end of the hall.  It wasn't long after that when she began getting up on our bed and decided that she much preferred our mattress over the one at the end of the hall.

In fact, not only did she prefer our bed, but my side of the bed.  Over the last few weeks, I had been collecting pictures to document this.  She was just so sweet all nestled into my spot on the bed.  

For the last month or so, we had a new routine.  Every night when I come upstairs to put Lauren to bed, I close the door 3/4 of the way and sit in the rocking chair with her.  Macy would follow about five minutes later.  She would race up the stairs, and poke her head into Lauren's room like she was just checking to make sure she knew where we were...then she'd head on down to our room and hop up in her spot on the bed.  After I put Lauren to bed, I usually go to the computer for a while, then get in the shower, go downstairs to tell Tracy goodnight, and then I would come back up to crawl in the bed with Macy.  If she left room for me on my side, I would lay there with her petting her...and if not, I would lay on Tracy's side of the bed and do the same - after all, I didn't want to disturb the queen :)  When it was time for Tracy to take the dogs out for their last potty break, she would jump down.  When she came back up with the rest of the family, she would just go to a dog bed for the night.  Come morning though, she couldn't wait for us to get out of bed so she could reclaim her throne!  It always made us laugh because within just a few minutes of us getting out of bed every morning, we could bet that she would be right back up there.  Then, of course, we'd just want to crawl back in bed and give her more love.

Pictures taken Nov 15

 


Pictures taken Nov 24

  I have so many pictures like this that never make it to the blog - I just loved those cute little nubs!


Pictures taken Dec 4



Pictures taken Dec 12



I always go to bed before Tracy and the dogs come up.  On Thursday night (Dec 16) when Tracy and the dogs came to bed, Macy jumped up and curled up in a ball around the back of my legs (I usually sleep on my side).  I loved it!  It was the first time she had actually slept in the bed with us.  She didn't stay all night, but she stayed for a while and it was so nice.  Tracy and I even discussed it Friday morning while we were having breakfast.  I was looking forward to more and more of this and knew that soon Macy would slowly transition to sleeping with us full time.

For the last few weeks, I had been complaining about how the comforter on the bed stunk from Macy being on it all of the time. Since I take my shower at night, I joked that I went to bed clean and woke up dirty. I kept meaning to wash the comforter, but never got around to it. Funny how the smell that used to stink, I now cherish every night when I crawl into bed and can still smell where Macy laid.

Every night when I'm nursing Lauren, I still imagine Macy poking her cute little face in the door checking on us.  Every time I walk in our bedroom, I still look for her on our bed.  Every time I open my eyes in the morning, I still look for her on her bed.  It's the little things that you don't realize just how much you miss until one day they're gone. 

3 comments:

houndstooth said...

I love how the progression of pictures shows her getting more and more comfortable there on the bed. The expressions on her face are just adorable. The niblets are precious!

I recall that it was the little things that made me so heartsick after Treat passed away, too. She slept in the bed with us, and I'd wake up in the morning with her head or her butt on my pillow every morning. She did this fantastic dance of joy when I got home from work every day, too. I'd cry every day on the way home because I knew that dance wasn't going to happen. It takes time to get over missing them, and all those sweet little things. I wouldn't be surprised if Puddin or Buford started to do a few of those things that you really miss, though. They seem to have great intuition about those things we need.

Heather said...

I'm so sorry to hear of Macy's passing. Hugs to you and your family. They are never with us long enough. Godspeed sweet Macy.

Hiking Hounds said...

That was really nice, she's so cozy on the bed. She really loved you.